Sunday, May 2, 2010

I witnessed a miracle

So now that my sister has posted her version of her baby's birth, I will now share mine. I feel so blessed that I could watch this amazing event take place. This was the first birth besides my own childrens' that I've personally watched. It helped me decide that I really do want to be a doula someday. I could watch babies be born every day. Anyway, Katie was absolutely amazing and I'm so grateful she invited me along.

Thursday morning, Katie called to say she had been admitted to the hospital. I finished up an errand to Target, dropped off my girls at my parents' house, and booked it (I had gotten a text en route that they had broken her water) to the hospital. She was sitting on the bed, uncomfortable through contractions about 4-5 min apart. She was dilated to about a 4 if I remember correctly.

We decided that she should try the birth ball, so she situated herself thereon and Ryan and I jumped to position for each contraction. I massaged her back, and Ryan held her hand and helped her breathe. We reminded her to relax all different parts of her body and she was doing awesome. Pretty soon the contractions were coming about 2 min apart and they were pretty big (according to the monitor). After a while of this she decided to get checked. She was disappointed to find that she was still at a 5, so decided that would be a good time to get an epidural (this was about 12pm).
I came back after her epi had been administered to find her resting on the bed, almost asleep. I got on her laptop and Ryan went to get some sushi for lunch. He brought it back and showed me how to eat it (I've never had it). Katie was having some pain/pressure in her bum (prob the baby's head) so she and I were watching HGTV to distract her. Her doctor came in around 1:15 and checked Katie. She sort of ignored him since we were so deeply involved in the real estate show we had on.
Dr. H looked up and said, "shall we have a baby?" Katie said, "sure." Dr H: "You're complete. I'll go get a nurse." I jumped up, closed the laptop, grabbed my camera and turned off the TV while Katie and Ryan looked at me sort of confused-like. Katie: "Wait...how far dilated am I?" Dr H (walking out of the room): "You're complete." Me: "Katie, that's a ten! You're ready to push!"
It was hilarious. We all looked at each other and giggled nervously and excitedly, and Ryan quickly put away his lunch stuff. In less than an hour and a half she had gone from a 5 to a 10! It was amazing and so unexpected that Katie was a little overwhelmed by the thought that she was ready to push out her baby and meet him.
Ryan comforted her and helped her visualize her special bundle that was about to make his entrance.
So she pushed for half an hour.... (isn't this the best pushing shot?)
And little Tommy was born!
I know I keep saying how amazing it was, but seriously, it was incredible. I watched Katie go from an unsure pregnant woman in labor to a strong woman who knew she wanted to be a mother and she was going to bring her baby into this world.

The happy family.

Tommy meeting his grandparents for the first time-both sets were there.
My dad and his little namesake. I can see that they will have a special bond.
Tommy is the most perfect little baby ever. I have to say he ranks right up there with my babies in cuteness (every baby is the most beautiful baby on earth to his own mother as we all know). You can see a few of the newborn shots I took of him here.
And I have to say...watching a baby be born makes me want another one! hee hee....



1 comments:

Matt and Maggie said...

Well good! Get to it! (Making baby three). Just kiddn. Congrats to your sister. :)