Sunday, June 21, 2009

Natalie-isms

Just so I don't forget, here are a couple of things Natalie has said recently.

Nat: I'm a little sick, don't you? [meaning "aren't I"]
Me: Don't I (correcting one thing at a time here, people)
N: No, I won't die.

Me: [said on the way home from church, at which point Mark and I will put the girls down for naps] If I put you to bed, who will nurse Hannah? Daddy doesn't have any milk.
N: Daddy has little small milkies, and mommy has big ones!

She is so funny. She talks constantly though you wouldn't know it unless you were hiding somewhere in our house. Nobody in public gets to hear her cute little voice unless she doesn't think you're listening. Hopefully she'll get over her shyness sometime. I'm imagining taking her to kindergarten and leaving her screaming in the teacher's arms.

Hannah is army crawling all over the place. It's so cute and we all love watching her do it. I'll get it on video sometime soon before she learns how to really crawl.

We finished swim lessons and Natalie did great. She wouldn't let the teacher look at her or talk to her for the whole first week (parents are in the water w/ kids) but on the third to last day she let the teacher watch her float on her back while she covered her own eyes, and the next day she let the teacher watch w/o covering her eyes, and the last day she almost let the teacher hold her and help her float. Almost. Maybe next year she'll finally make it to the class where she's not with her mommy!

Current dilemma: potty training. If anyone has any suggestions, please share. Natalie knows when she needs to go--if she doesn't have a diaper on (like when she's getting changed into a swimsuit) and she has to go, she asks for a diaper to go pee in. Likewise, she'll tell me she needs to go #2 and go hide somewhere to do it. SHe refuses to go on the toilet though. She has a little one and a kid seat one that fits on the big potty. We've tried a chart, skittles as a reward, special potty snacks that she only gets to eat on the potty, and buying cool Elmo and Princess panties. I need help!

4 comments:

The Ayers Family said...

Your girls are too cute! My only suggestion for potty-training, seeing as you've already tried my other favorite methods, it to just take her every half hour. Even if she claims to not have to go, you take her anyway. She'll eventually get the idea that sitting on the toilet is an everyday ritual.

Matt and Maggie said...

I agree with Kayci, Alisa. She needs to be led there and sat down every half hour for maybe a week. Then you can let up. But to keep her entertained while sitting there, you might need to sing or read books. I'm sorry it has been hard. She is totally ready, it'll come.

Bre said...

Here is my two cents. I worked and worked and worked on Peyton, trying everything that was suggested to me that worked for someone else. No bribery of any kind got him to actually do it permanently, it just worked once or twice. I finally just waited for him to be ready, and one day just after his 3rd birthday he literally just decided that he wanted to start going on the potty and that was it. And he never looked back. And at that point he didn't need any more "training" since I had worked on him for so long before that. He was just ready and he had to decide it for himself.

Jody Weiss said...

I'm glad you record the funny things Natalie says, I love that stuff! You're girls are beautiful!