Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Potty training

I can't remember if I've posted this or not, but we have had the hardest time potty training Natalie. We've tried several different times and strategies including charts, various rewards, potty snacks/drinks, new panties, pull ups, etc. She hasn't been motivated by any of it. I gave up a few months ago and decided to let her be in charge and do it when she's ready.

Well, on Thursday she announced to me in the morning that she didn't want to wear a diaper. I put her in panties expecting her to ask for a diaper when she had to go. SHe didn't go all morning, and when it was time for quiet time (she's quit the naps, wahhhh!) I put the toilet in her room and said, "here, you can go potty in here if you want." I didn't really think she would, and I left.

Half an hour later she came out and said she went potty in the toilet! I guess she just decided to be a big girl now. She has since worn panties and not had a single accident at home. We still put a diaper on to go out and she has yet to go #2 on the potty (she asks for a diaper to go in) or to use the big toilet, but hey, one step at a time, people. We are so proud of her!!!

6 comments:

Matt and Maggie said...

Two things that are so smart: The link trick, and of course NATALIE!!
WOOT WOOT!

Jenna said...

Yeah!! I'm so happy for you. They really have to be ready and then it goes so fast. At least that's what I've heard. I can't wait for Audrey to be potty-trained!

Mike and Meg said...

That's great. We need to get together. I haven't see you since I have been back.

Bre said...

Yay! That's awesome!

The Ayers Family said...

How exciting!!!

Stock Family said...

Yay!! First off, I love that picture of Hannah! My goodness, how I love her hair!
Second, we've had a hard time with Daisy with peeing in her underwear. I bought a timer (the white one that ticks) and set it for 30 minutes. When it rings, I make sure I am really excited and tell her its Potty Time! We rush to the bathroom together and she goes! Its been great. Good luck. I know every kid is different and has their own time line for that kind of stuff.