Sunday, January 6, 2013

Christmas

The thought of blogging about Christmas is slightly overwhelming, so will just do it a little at a time. There’s no rule that says I have to make one giant post!

 

 

DSCN0025

We made Christmas sugar cookies! Yes, they are vegan. I made them with the regular sugar cookie recipe only I replaced the milk with almond milk, the butter with Earth Balance (vegan butter), and the egg with egg replacer powder (from Sprouts).  They turned out sooooo delicious! They were soft and pillowy just like the nonvegan version, and the frosting was perfect as well (regular recipe but with almond milk and EB). We have not done sugar cookies in the entire year we’ve been plant-based (mostly because I avoid added oils or fats) but we threw health into the wind for this particular afternoon and it was quite enjoyable. Smile The kids had a great time sprinkling and we were able to share a plate with some of our non-dairy friends.

DSCN0050

Here we are at the ward Christmas dinner. Aren’t my little sweeties (and one big sweetie) so adorbs?

DSCN0059

Natalie sang in a little children’s choir for our stake music concert, and they performed at a rest home one afternoon prior to practice performing. Natalie sang great and it helped us realize where we needed to practice our words!

DSCN0068

Mark’s mom gave us tickets to A Christmas Carol at the Hale Center Theater as an early Christmas gift. It was so amazing! We loved every minute and it was fun to see some quality live entertainment as well as spend time with each other (and Mom!) without kids around.

DSCN0072

Like my green trench? I got it on clearance last spring and this was my first time wearing it.

IMG_5482

Graham cracker “gingerbread” houses with Grandma Simonson. We used Rice-Mellow cream (like marshmallow cream but vegan) but it was too runny and gooey so we added a bunch of powdered sugar and that stiffened things right up. Even so, some bits and pieces were sliding off at the end of the night. Luckily the kids didn’t care as long as they were stuffing their faces with candy.

IMG_5487

Hannah’s house got the worst of the destruction.

IMG_5500

 

Emily didn’t care one lick about making a house. She just wanted smarties! “mo! mo tanny!” (more candy)

IMG_5491

2 comments:

Emily said...

LOVE the green trench! And love that we got to talk on the phone twice this week :)

Bethany said...

Just a fun fact.. The little boy who played Tiny Tim (if you saw the A group) goes to Neely. He is a triplet and they are the nicest kids! Looks like you had a fun fun Christmas. And I applaud your healthy eating, I wish I could be that dedicated (I say as I stuff an oreo in my mouth ;) )