Monday, May 12, 2008

My mom, the triathlete!

My mom is such a cool goal-setter and accomplisher. She started gung-ho exercising back in October, and heard about a triathlon that was taking place in April in January. She started training diligently and finished that triathlon last month. Then she did ANOTHER one this past Saturday in Tempe (about 30min away) because she wanted to do better than her first.
For those of you who don't know, a triathlon consists of three events: swimming, biking, and running, in that order. I didn't get any pics of the swim because we were still looking for parking at that point. Anyway, this particular triathlon had a 400m swim, a 12 mile bike ride, then a 3.1 mile run. My mom's goal was to finish under 2 hours, and she did it with 3.5 minutes to spare! Yay for Mom!!!!

Getting ready to mount her bike after her dip in the scary Tempe town lake.
We're waiting for her to finish the ride. It was a little warm. Katie and I made up the cheerleading section for the women finishing the bike portion. Everyone else was just sitting there...weird!
Here she comes, ready to tackle the last leg of the race!
My dad chillin with his two little granddaughters who adore him right back.

The big finish! We all cheered her through the last little bit and she was SO relieved that it was over. I'm so proud of her for doing this! And I have to say...it does inspire me to do one someday. Once I am in a break from nursing/being pregnant and have some extra money, I will definitely do this!

This is a random lady we saw who stood on her head like this for a good 5 minutes at least. She didn't move a muscle. Yoga maybe? Regardless, it was quite amazing.

6 comments:

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

You totoally should have said it was mom standing on her head... That is hilarious. Probably a core-strengthening exercise?

Brooke said...

I couldn't even imagine running and swimming and bikeriding that far. Let alone doing them one after the other. Tell her good job from us!!!!

Keets said...

I"m going to do one too! I need to get on the ball and learn how to ride a bike without falling off!

Brandis said...

I'm impressed! I probably wouldn't make it past the swimming part due to the fact that I pretty much swim like a rock. Way to go Alisa's mom!

Jody Weiss said...

I am so impressed! That's awesome your mom did that! I had no idea she was even training, good for her! I'm inspired now!

Jody Weiss said...

I am so impressed! That's awesome your mom did that! I had no idea she was even training, good for her! I'm inspired now!