Friday, June 27, 2008

Happy Anniversary--3 years

Our anniversary was on June 18th, 2005 and it has been such a wonderful 3 years! Rather than write about what a wonderful husband I have (since I just did that in the father's day post) I want to write a little about how we met for those of you who don't know the story.

We grew up in the same ward together since I was 10 and he was 12. His mom was our primary chorister and later, our choir director. He was our choir accompanist later on (I was in the choir). I remember him passing and blessing the sacrament, as well as in mutual activities through my teenage years. He was 2 years older than me in school, so we didn't really share the same friends or even see each other very much. We had the same seminary class when he was a senior and I a sophomore.

In fact, if I could digress a little and tell a sad story here: our teacher that year had us write a letter to our future spouses. The teacher then kept the letters and said that when we get married, to send him a wedding announcement and he would send us the letters back. Well, that teacher ended up moving away, leaving all his files in the seminary building and they got thrown away! Isn't that so sad? We could have had cute little high school letters to each other. Bummer.

Anyway, my dad was his home teaching companion and then his bishop, and he sent Mark on a mission. He was still the bishop when he came home, and Mark dropped by the house for some reason and talked to my mom for a minute. I was at BYU at this point. My mom called me and said, "I know who you're going to marry. Mark Simonson." I was like, haha, he's just one of the ward guys, he's like my brother, blah blah blah. Well, my mom must have been inspired because she was right!

I graduated in Aug '04 from BYU and moved back home. I worked and was living life and having fun as a single gal. Mark and I ended up hanging out in the same group of people a lot, and started talking and emailing each other from work. Our first date was in December, and by March of '05 we were engaged, and married in June. It was so easy to decide to marry him. It was as if I had always been in love with him and had "forgotten" through all those years, and then I was "remembering" that I loved him. Like it was a familiar feeling.

We have had our ups and downs and have been through a lot, but I'm looking forward to spending eternity with him. He does so much for me and we have such a great relationship. He is definitely the one for me and I'm so glad I found him!!

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Happy anniversary you cute love birds!

Marisa and Rob said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Many more wonderful year's to come!!! :)

The Burnhams said...

Oh, I could listen to that story over and over again! I am so glad you married each other and that you got to join our family, Alisa!
Happy Anniversary!
Love, Karlie

Jenna said...

I remember Dillon and I hung out in the same group as you guys back in fall 2004. Time sure flies!!! Happy 3 years!